BRAIN_RECALL

All defective brains please form a line to the right, thank you.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I've fallen off!

The edge of the world! Oh no, turn back, turn back!

*whoosh*

Well, I did disappear for awhile. The reason? GUILD WARS. No, not some cheesy B-movie combo of Star Wars and The Lord of The Rings, but a new massively-multiplayer online role-playing game, simple a MMORPG.

I've tried other MMORPGs and liked some. I mildly enjoyed Diablo, couldn't get the grip of Medivia (which is actually a MUD [multi-user dungeon]). I loved Knights of The Old Republic, even though that doesn't quite fit here since it's not online, but it is one of the few RPGs that I could sit through. As you may or may not know, I'm a big First Person Shooter fan, namely of the Serious Sam series.

However, something about GW has intrigued me. Maybe it's the fact it runs beautifully on my lousy dialup, or the fact that all online play is free. But there is something else. Storyline isn't it so much, since the plot is rather huge and filled with side-quests to keep you busy. No, I think it has to be the system of play, and especially how it's set up for friend co-op quests.

First off, Guild Wars can be played alone, or with your friends, or accompanied by computer controlled henchmen. But the fun happens when you and a friend join up to complete a common mission, or to help them through one of their quests. Communication with you and a friend can be done through the standard chat methods, but Guild Wars goes one step above by allowing access to a map that all party members can see and use. You can draw out possible paths, mark areas of interest, and strategize how to attack a mob of enemies.

The simple fact that the classes, called professions, are so well balanced is amazing. Usually somewhere in a RPG a certain combination with one strategy will almost guarantee victory. Not so with Guild Wars. Every profession has their vital strengths and weaknesses, and combined with a second profession, gives you some very interesting game play. Essentially, if you don't know what you're doing or how to use your character, you'll die quickly. However, each and every character combination is as powerful as the next used right.

Honestly, I could rant on about GW until my fingers bleed, but I'll leave it at that. Right now I have to go build me some new armor, oh yes, it's gonna be fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home